Cher Turns Back Time with Irish in the American Civil War

Well, here is a post I never thought I would be writing., but which I felt I had to share! This afternoon I was speaking on the Irish in the American Civil War at the Back to Our Past event in the Royal Dublin Society, a very enjoyable occasion with a great audience. Afterwards I was asked if I had noticed the interview in the English newspapers last week with American singer and actress Cher. In it she was asked what book she was reading at the moment- here is what she said:

I’m currently reading…The Irish in the American Civil War by Damian Shiels. It’s really interesting.

I don’t think the book is widely available in the UK, so it would be fascinating to find out how Cher got her hands on it, and what initially sparked her interest. Either way, it is great to hear she is reading it and a bit surreal at the same time- thanks Cher! you can see her interview here.

Categories: Events

16 Comments on “Cher Turns Back Time with Irish in the American Civil War”

1. October 20, 2013 at 11:33 pm #

Surprises? Why? EVERYBODY reads Damian Shiels’ book “Irish in the American Civil War” :-)

• October 22, 2013 at 3:33 pm #

It might be Oprah’s Book of the Month next :-)

2. October 20, 2013 at 11:41 pm #

My estimate of Cher’s intelligence just rose exponentially.

• October 22, 2013 at 3:33 pm #

I wasn’t aware she was into the American Civil War, let alone the Irish aspect- it is great to see!

3. October 20, 2013 at 11:57 pm #

Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. October 21, 2013 at 12:18 am #

Cool.

5. October 21, 2013 at 12:30 am #

As one of the relatively few straight Cher fans, I think it’s awesome.

• October 22, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

It’s great to see she is interested in this period- I will have to find out how and where she got her hands on a copy!

6. October 21, 2013 at 5:47 am #

That is insane, Damien. I mean, Cher? Who knew? I wonder how she came across it.

You should (a) get your publisher to send her a note of thanks and get that on the Amazon.com page for Americans and (b) write her a short note – use postage, send it to her record company – and tell her you’re gratified to know she’s enjoying the book. Tell her about your projects & your mission, whatever. It can do no harm & you never know what might come of it. Next think you know, you’ll be on MSNBC or something. Really, don’t let this pass.

• October 22, 2013 at 3:35 pm #

Hey John,

It is all very strange! That sounds like a good plan it might be worth it alright- I took some convincing when I was told about it all…

7. October 21, 2013 at 5:49 am #

I just realized I’ve been misspelling your name. After, what? 2-3 years of reading your blog, chatting on Twitter, etc. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Sorry about that.

Damian from now on.

• October 22, 2013 at 3:36 pm #

Don’t worry John I hadn’t even noticed- it is usually both names, even on official documents so you have been doing ok :-)

8. October 21, 2013 at 4:32 pm #

She’s got you, babe.

9. Jerome croskery
    October 22, 2013 at 2:54 pm #

I am impressed Damian however ‘klank ‘ more so .. She’s a big fan of you both …very well done and take heed from perhaps john f …. Put yourself out there ,,,,and push

• October 22, 2013 at 3:37 pm #

Thanks Jerome! You can tell Klank she now has a personal connection to her!