The Launch of ‘The Irish in the American Civil War’

The launch of my new book, The Irish in the American Civil War, took place on Saturday 23rd February last in the National Museum of Ireland, Collins Barracks, Dublin. I was very keen to have the launch at that venue, as it is where I spent four years as one of the curators working on the Soldiers & Chiefs military exhibition. As the name implies, the site is also a former British Army and later Irish Army barracks (and indeed a building known to British army veterans such as Patrick Ronayne Cleburne). There was a fabulous turnout, and I would like to thank the National Museum and my publishers The History Press Ireland for making it such a great occasion. I was particularly humbled by the presence of MSG George B. Sands, Operations Coordinator at the Defense Attaché Office who represented the United States Embassy at the launch. Special thanks must go to my former colleague on Soldiers & Chiefs Siobhan Pierce who did a wonderful job as MC, and especially author and broadcaster Myles Dungan, who did a wonderful job of launching the book. Here a few photos of the day out- thanks to everyone who attended and those who sent on their good wishes for the day!

The National Museum of Ireland at Collins Barracks, Dublin

The National Museum of Ireland at Collins Barracks, Dublin

The book ready for distribution to the assembled masses!

The book ready for distribution to the assembled masses!

My former colleague Siobhan Pierce, currently Head of Education at the National Museum of Ireland, Kildare St., who did a fantastic job as MC (and said some very nice things about our time working together!)

My former colleague Siobhan Pierce, currently Head of Education at the National Museum of Ireland, Kildare St., who did a super job as MC (and said some very nice things about our time working together!)

Author and broadcaster Myles Dungan, who has himself done fantastic work in highlighting the Irish role in the United States, officially launches the book

Yours truly chatting with MSG Sands from the United States Embassy; I was deeply honoured that he was able to attend

I take the rare opportunity of having a virtually captive audience to blather on about the Irish in the American Civil War to...

Categories: Books, Update

12 Comments on “The Launch of ‘The Irish in the American Civil War’”

1. Patty MM
    March 4, 2013 at 11:22 pm #

Very nice! I just ordered your book from Amazon! :)

• March 6, 2013 at 8:05 am #

Hi Patty,

Thanks for that! I hope you enjoy it- be sure to let me know what you think!

2. Mike Fitzpatrick
    March 5, 2013 at 12:31 am #

Damian,
    Just to let you know, I ordered the book and have received it!! I plan on reading it soon!!

Mike Fitzpatrick
    Happy St. Patrick’s Day!!

• March 6, 2013 at 8:05 am #

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for picking it up- I would love to know what you think of it!

3. Hannah
    March 5, 2013 at 7:41 am #

This is awesome! Congratulations :)

4. March 5, 2013 at 8:01 pm #

This is so exciting, Damien! Congratulations – I’m looking forward to reading it with great interest.

5. Ian Shiels
    March 6, 2013 at 6:56 pm #

Hello cousin ! Congratulations on the book, outstanding effort, may require a few pints of the black stuff to celebrate !

• March 6, 2013 at 8:18 pm #

Hey Ian great to hear from you! Thanks! It is always a good time for that in any event!

6. Debbie
    March 20, 2013 at 8:50 pm #

Congratulations on the release of your book launch. I came across your blog postings during my research for my own historical fiction set during the Civil War era. My research into Irish immigration and subsequent involvement in the civil unrest of the time has been enlightening. I hope I can invest some authenticity in my character’s background and add a few nuggets of historical truths.

I also enjoyed the podcast interview both for the information and for the sound of Irish speech. It’s not an accent I hear in Kentucky which may be why I’ve determined my main character is an Irish cop and his brother a soldier. Thanks for the inspiration and best wishes on your continued success!

• March 21, 2013 at 9:25 am #

Hi Debbie,

Many thanks for your kind words! I am glad the site has bee of use to you, and also the podcast! Also best of luck with your own endeavours.